Hidden Huntress (The Malediction Trilogy #2) by Danielle L. Jensen

Monday 30 March 2015


 



When I picked up Stolen Songbird mid June last year (2014), I was swept away in the story of a curse, trolls, magic and a great cast of characters who quickly captured my heart. This book swiftly landed in my favorites list and has always burned in the back of my mind. My review of Stolen Songbird can be found here for anyone interested.



When I discovered the sequel Hidden Huntress was out on Netgalley, I was absolutely thrilled. And I have to say, it does not disappoint! In fact, it blew me away..



We pick a little after we left off. Cecile has managed to escape Trollus and is trying with all her might to find the witch responsible for casting the curse that binds them within the mountain. She has moved to Trianon to gain access to the much needed social circles through her mother and is searching high and low, with help from Sabine and Chris.

~ A knot of continuous pain sat in the back of my mind - pain lanced with wild fear and anger that never diminished, never seemed to rest. A constant reminder that Tristan suffered in Trollus so that I could be safe in Trianon.


When she gets the opportunity to negotiate with the Troll King, she takes it with both hands and manages to bind herself to a promise that ultimately might kill her. Not only that, but the situation within Trollus is getting more dire by the day and Tristan is powerless to stop it.



~"Think of it this way," I said. "He knows you can lie to him, but you don't know that he knows. Not only can he use it against you, he can use you against his enemies by taking advantage of the fact that they don't know either."




The journey is action packed and we get thrown from one predicament into another as we try to find out the identity of the witch, save her love and pick a side in the ensuing battle.

~ You are standing on a great deal of rock, love," Tristan said, the first bit of humor I'd seen in hours rising onto hi face. "You're going to need to eat more chocolate truffles if you intend to finish the mountain's work."


Danielle L. Jensen has a gift when it comes to making the characters emotions resonate and situations are very well intertwined. The story never feels forced and does not come across as orchestrated drama to beef up the book. Cecile and Tristan's actions are still those of the characters we have come to love in Stolen Songbird and for that I am very grateful.


On top of that, we get a little more insight in other characters as well. Sabine especially.

It is written in 2 POV's as per the last book (both Cecile and Tristan's) and I enjoyed both equally as much. I am delighted with the ending too. It was a brave choice on the author’s part to take that direction. It will certainly not be an easy one to conclude.

All in all, Hidden Huntress definitely does not suffer 'Middle Book Syndrome'. It is full of action and gives us what we long for too. I am even more in love with the series then after finishing the first book!


View all my reviews

2 comments :

  1. I agree 100% with you! Hidden Huntress was a wonderful sequel, I loved it so, so much. Can't wait to have this beautiful book in my hands on June 2nd! ❤❤❤ Agh, and the wait for book three is already TORTURE. :(

    Melissa @ The Reader and the Chef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is going to be one heck of a wait now till 2016! I will need to get the hardcopies.. They deserve a spot on my shelfs :D

      Delete

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs