The Curse Servant (The Dark Choir #2) by J.P. Sloan

Wednesday 8 April 2015

The Curse Servant by J.P. Sloan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I was lucky enough to pick up The Curse Servant through Netgalley just after I finished The Curse Merchant, which I found was a very entertaining book with some great dark humor. My review of the first book can be found here.

The sequel picks up approximately a couple of months after the previous book ended, or so it seems.

Dorian Lake has picked up his pieces and is finally getting into the groove of his new life. He is of course still in the middle of seeking a way to retrieve his lost soul too.

~ "A man once told me if I make the desires of the flesh my focus, then I'll succumb to them. I'm trying to focus on the things that are a little more permanent."


 


Dorian continues to work for the Mayor (on a steady payroll) and when he gets a lead on a possible solution to his soul problem, as well as an actual date, everything seems to be falling into place. However, nothing ever is that easy and when he gets called in to witness a strange possession of a person close to him, it becomes a race against the clock to fit the pieces together.

Our hero not only has to face that, but also has to watch for blackmail threats, property trouble and his fellow practitioners. All in all, some important decisions need to be made causing him some major sleepless nights.

Ches is a refreshing addition to this book too. I was unsure how she would fit in to this puzzle but with all the intrigue it is very hard to not suspect any one of the characters of foul play.

~ "It's a date." Ches stepped inside, leaving my bewildered face mug-deep in coffee. It was. It was totally a date. How did this even happen?

I loved this installment just as much as the previous. Whilst we do not make a whole lot of progress in finding Dorian's soul, it nevertheless feels like a bigger journey. It's great how everyday struggles and the supernatural come together and intertwine in Dorian's life. The urban tone draws you right in and makes it very easy to visualize it all happening in front of your eyes.

And ever thought you had something completely figured out until you get your wrist slapped for assuming? Yeah.. that.. Let me tell you, im sporting one blue wrist.



There where however also one or two 'issues' I had with the story. And this is mainly from a parental point of view. Poor Ellen gets pulled for a major ride and the parents reactions to this where just not what I think any actual parent would have. 


It is a great part of the story but also made me cringe. The impression this series has given me is that it is based on realistic reactions from the characters and that just didn't mash up and ultimately why I gave this book a 4 star rating instead of 5.



Conclusion:
I think it was a good second book and am very much looking forward to the third, although there is no news as to when that will be and what it's going to be called or if it is going to take more then 3 to find his soul..

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs