The Guardian, a Sword, & Stilettos (Enlighten series #1) by Kristin D. Van Risseghem

Friday 10 July 2015

The Guardian, a Sword, & Stilettos by Kristin D. Van Risseghem
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The Guardian, a Sword, & Stilletos is a ya/teen novel. It plays on the fantasy genre and follows Zoe, our protagonist who finds out she is destined to fulfill a world saving prophesy. She has a best friend Kieran, whom she later finds out is an angel and is in fact in love with her. However bad boy and half angel Shay comes in the picture and steals her heart as her potential soulmate instead. Both have been appointed to look over her as her 18th B-day is destined to reveal what she truly is and if she is capable to make true to the prophecy. Not only that, but her best friend is a faerie and is ordered by the summer court to guard her as well.



 So overall, this book has been a flop with me. I really have not to much to say about it other then that I had to force myself to read on. The writing is mehh. The characters, specially Zoe, are shallow. I wanted to gag every time Zoe and Shay had a scene and the behaviors of all these characters are so far fetched it was bordering on ridiculous. I've lost count on how many times I rolled my eyes to the point the people on the bus I commute with must have thought I was having an aneurism.

We are talking eternal beings here (or with a longer lifespan) and the fact that they are all googly eying Zoe who is a pretentious 17yo with the mind set of a hormonal 12yo who constantly needs girl talk to analyze her bad ass macho car driving nephilim sugar daddy 4x her age, is crazy. The fact that said girl is her faerie friend who is eons old and cant wait to get that gossip is equally as farfetched.

It cant be that bad right? I will humor you with the below quotes:

~ His smile was quit, thoughtful. "Maybe I'm just being selfish. He had his chance with you in the past, and he blew it. Now I'm here, and I want your future." What does a girl say to that?

(The correct answer is nothing, you run like hell wondering where the hell he picked that line up once you found out he has stalked you your whole life)

~ She'd always been pretty, but wow. When I studied her now, she was a human sized Tinkebell. I had no idea how she'd react to that comparison.

~ "You are my problem!' she exclaimed. "You're just an average girl- maybe even below average- and you have no special qualities. your parents aren't rich, and you don't even wear the right clothes."

And my favorite out of all of them:

~ I couldn't take my eyes off him. He opened the door an helped me in, and my eyes followed his body as he walked around the front of the car. He started the engine and 'What Makes You Beautiful' by One Direction flowed from the speakers. We didn't speak, and when it ended, he smiled. I knew he'd played the song for me.

(There is no way in hell you can convince me anyone would have willingly played that song)

Ahem, okay. So overall there is not a whole lot of action other then hand holding and kissing and Zoe whining about her doubts and boys. And anyone looking for a gripping story will need to look elsewhere ( I can highly recommend Angelfall if your into angels or Whirl if your into prophecies and kick ass girls acting their age).

Would I recommend it?
No..



No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs